Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The modifier 'extern' is not valid for this item" compilation error

Hi

I'm trying to build the 1.14 version source code on Visual Studio 2013, but I'm getting compilation error of "error CS0106: The modifier 'extern' is not valid for this item" on the properties with "extern" keyword inside a struct. Any idea of what might be missing?

Bridge-1.14.0\Bridge\System\Nullable.cs(13,28,13,36): error CS0106: The modifier 'extern' is not valid for this item
    Bridge-1.14.0\Bridge\System\Nullable.cs(19,25,19,30): error CS0106: The modifier 'extern' is not valid for this item
    Thanks in advance.

Can you ensure you remove the two Test projects from the Solution, then try a rebuild. The Test projects require a separate Assembly reference that has not been released yet, and the projects must be excluded from the Solution before the compilation.

I think all of us are using VS2015 for compilation, although there shouldn't be any reason why compilation of Bridge would fail in VS2013. Try removing the Test projects and let us know if that fixes the problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm still seeing the error after I removed the two Test projects and rebuild.

Comment

Looks like VS2015 is required to compile the Bridge compiler source code. We're using C#6 syntax in the source, and with the next release will require Visual Studio 2015 at a minimum for end user projects, again because of the C#6 requirement.

Comment

Are you taking hudge advantage of c# v6 syntax in compiler? Maybe it's worth it to leave compiler at v5, since many of developers may still use 2013 version.

Comment

Are you taking hudge advantage of c# v6 syntax in compiler?
            Yes. The compiler in the next release requires Roslyn. We've heard overwhelmingly that users of Bridge want C#6 support. To include C#6 support, we must use Roslyn, which requires VS2015.

Maybe there's a way to get VS2013 to use Roslyn as the compiler, although we have not investigated.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for explanation.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X