• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guidovanhils
    started a topic Upgrade visual studio project from old vsix file

Upgrade visual studio project from old vsix file

Hi Bridge.net,

I have an VS solution file that uses an old version of Bridge.NET.vsix. in different projects.
    I don't have the old vsix file anymore.

What is the best way to upgrade to a new Bridge.NET.vsix and make the projects/solution build again?

Best regards,

Guido

• guidovanhils
    replied
    Thanks Fabricio, It clarify things.

Leave a comment:

• fabricio.murta
    replied
    Hello guidovanhils!

Originally posted by guidovanhils
    So best is to remove all references to bridge.net and restore assemblies refs with nuget?
    You don't have to remove any references, all you need to do is upgrade the NuGet package.

Microsoft documentation on the subject:
    - How to reinstall and update packages
    - NuGet Package Manager UI Reference - Updating a package

And that's all that should be necessary to keep Bridge up to date. Of course, keep an eye for changes required in the code when you upgrade between major versions.

What I don't understand is: If I start a new c# class library project in VS and set a ref to bridge.net with nuget, is then the bridge compiler used to generate the javascript.
    Well, you sound like you really understand it. Installing the Bridge package does what is necessary for the build to trigger Bridge, de-link mscorlib and link Bridge.

Thus with other words: Can start a new bridge project without using the VSIX template?
    Yes. The NuGet package does not require the VSIX one. The VSIX template is just a shortcut to create a ClassLibrary project + install Bridge NuGet package at one step.

Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• guidovanhils
    replied
    Hi Fabricio,

Thanks for answer.

So best is to remove all references to bridge.net and restore assemblies refs with nuget?

What I don't understand is: If I start a new c# class library project in VS and set a ref to bridge.net with nuget, is then the bridge compiler used to generate the javascript. (And generates all settings like bridge.json) Thus with other words: Can start a new bridge project without using the VSIX template?

Thanks, Guido

Leave a comment:

• fabricio.murta
    replied
    Hello guidovanhils

The VSIX package is just a project template. Once you create a project using it, the project is written in stone (no, actually it is written to your disk), and it no longer references the project template. So even if you do upgrade the VSIX template, the change will only reflect new projects you create.

I take it you don't mean to re-create the projects every time you upgrade Bridge's VSIX and copy over your code and settings, as that makes little sense.

The good news is, the project but relies on the NuGet packages instead of making a physical Bridge installation. So all you need to do is upgrade the NuGet packages using NuGet package manager/console/client (or the IDE's text editor if you want to hack it down the upgrade -- and know what you're doing), and you'll have an updated Bridge project no matter whether the VSIX template is up-to-date or not.

Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X