Compile only what is used?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compile only what is used?

I would love to use Bridge.Net for my smaller projects as it helps keep JS really organized and clean with it being in C#. However, for a small website that probably only wants a few animations, a bit of ajax and some basic JS stuff, having Bridge.Net output a 1MB file containing all of .Net features it's overkill.

Do you have support yet for the compiler removing all unused stuff from the bridge js file?

You could use tree shaking to remove unused code as some kind of post build step.
    Since Bridge.NET simply compiles to javascript -- Any javascript tree shaking tool might work for you to accomplish this.

[Edit]
    Although this could work -- not sure how it would work in the single .js file case -- The Bridge team might have to implement or call a shaker during parsing.

But it may be possible to do this with a single file or other ridge options...
    Last edited by selinc; 2018-01-29 @ 05:49 PM.

Comment

Any javascript tree shaking tool might work for you to accomplish this.
      It's not that simple.

having Bridge.Net output a 1MB file containing all of .Net features it's overkill.
      Currently, bridge.min.js is 627KB and with your server gzip compression turned on, it's ~140KB. We will be implementing functionality to help reduce the size of bridge.js, but current bridge.min.js + gzip is about 86% smaller than the 1MB size stated above.

You should only be using the bridge.js file during development and debugging. For a production app, or Release Mode, please ensure you are including bridge.min.js.

Comment

Great, that is good for me to know as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X